Can I still get Travel Insurance?


It is always advisable to take out travel insurance, especially when going abroad.


Travel insurance is usually offered to you as a deal when booking a holiday. However, it is very unlikely this policy will cover you for any treatment or medications needed as a result of having Hepatitis B.


Ask to take out a special excess to cover you for a pre-existing illness, or look for an independent policy through an insurance company. Unfortunately, both these options will cost you more, but it is well worth paying for. The cost of being treated abroad with no insurance can run to many thousands of pounds.


You may find this link useful in searching for a good deal on travel insurance if you have a pre-existing medical condition.




Apply for an EHIC card if you are travelling to Europe. This gives you access to state provided treatment at a reduced rate. (sometimes free) and covers you for Hepatitis C symptoms. Apply at least two weeks in advance by post (application forms at your Post Office), by phone on 0845 6062030, or online at NHS Choices.

Find Support in Scotland

Search for Hepatitis B services in
your area.
Find out more 

Sexual Health and Blood Borne Virus Framework 

The Scottish Government has published the Sexual Health and Blood Borne Virus Framework to tackle Hepatitis B in Scotland.
> Download Framework